Soulless - Gail Carriger

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1)Soulless by Gail Carriger

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I found this book on a list of steampunk novels worth reading (it was over at www.epbot.com if you're curious) and after reading it I can say it most definitely belongs there.I really enjoyed getting to know Alexia Talbott and her supporting cast. The story take a new look at the link between the supernatural and the soul and it sets this in the still very strict and rule-bound Victorian era. That in itself would make the book an interesting read but what makes it rise above the rest is the charming language. It's funny and fitting and I giggled several times no matter where I was at the moment (one would think my co-commuters would be used to it by now)

I can't say the actual story wasn't easy to see through though, because it was, both the romance and the mystery part of it, but despite this it was enjoyable. Sometimes it's nice to read something that you've already guessed approximately how it's gonna end but is well-written enough that you wanna see how it gets there. This is that kind of book.

And why can't I have a brass,steam-enhanced parasol? With this sun and this heat I sure do need one. Oh, and a fantastically flaming vampire friend to visit and gossip with, need that too!



View all my reviews
  • Sooz
  • 9:49 PM
  • 0 comments

0 comments :

Post a Comment