Review: The Name of the Wind


The Name of the Wind
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Stories told within stories are always tricky but in my opinion Rothfuss manages it right. We get Kvothe, the main character, tell the story of his life but at the same time we also get the feeling that even if he thinks he's at the end of his journey that's not really the case.

Kvothe is exceptional in a way that only heroes in fantasy novels can be but he's not especially heroic, at least not in the beginning. Rothfuss manages to reflect the egoism of early youth rather well in my opinion.

My only gripe is that the female characters feel a bit stereotypical, we have the wild love interest, the nerdy girl, the caretaker and the fey strange girl and so far they haven't gotten much more characteristics than that. Would it have been too much to ask to have one of his friends being a girl? Without it being a guy friend with boobs?

All in all it is an enjoyable tale, better than average in all ways except the female characters, and I will read the next one.



View all my reviews
  • Sooz
  • 11:39 AM
  • 3 comments

3 comments :

Post a Comment